Sunday, August 1, 2010

Does it Work? Upside Down Tomato Planter (In Case You Were Wondering)

My husband bought me one of those upside down tomato planters. To be honest, I didn't know if I would end up using it or not. It just so happened that a local school has a green house, which i'm sure they use to teach the students how to make things grow, but also to raise money.

My sister bought me a couple of the plants that they had there, and they were also giving away tomato plants along with some others that are food related because they'd planted too many and the school year was nearly over.

I kept my tomato plant in the house way too long. To the point where it was not looking too healthy. I decided i'd go ahead and do what i'd put off for too long already. Pull out the upside down tomato planter and try to rescue the poor thing.

When my neighbor saw it, she said she'd started to buy one, but saw that I had one and would just wait to see if mine was any good. At first I used just the dirt that it was growing in when I got it. I had my hubby buy some of the self feeding potting soil. Let me tell you, I have not a green finger. Matter of fact I don't know what I did wrong with the basil that I got on the same day, but it is no longer with us. The results have truly amazed me. It grew very rapidly, with me doing nothing further than making sure it has the water it needs. Here's what it looks like after about a month of being in the planter:


Now mind you it was about 5-6 inches or so when I first put it into this planter and was looking near in need of life support. Today, for the first time I even spotted a little tomato growing:



I've nicknamed this plant My Baby :)

2 comments:

  1. I've seen these around my neighborhood and have wondered if they work. Thanks for the informative post. I've given you a blog award.
    http://heckofabunch.blogspot.com/2010/08/someone-thinks-my-blog-has-substance.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received 2 for mother's day, I like them.. the only problem I have is they are very heavy after I put the soil in. You need a really sturdy place to hang it. I love it! I have mine hung out by the garden.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share your thoughts