Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Breastfeeding Moms Concerned About Your Milk Supply... Meet Milky

  I'm really glad to have a mom that breastfed. I'm also glad to have had a doctor who believed enough in breastfeeding to encourage me to do so with my first child AND he encouraged me to shoot for at least the first year of my baby's life. I've had 5 more since, and really count it a privilege and a blessing that i've been able to offer something naturally occurring and so beneficial for each one.


Breastfeeding usually flows easily for me. Aside from being concerned with my milk supply coming in after giving birth with my last two, I rarely face any challenges that raise concern. Every now and then, though, I know my baby isn't satisfied, even though he's suckled for what I consider ample time when compared to other times. I can tell that he's not full because he'll continue to root and whine after i've removed him from my breast. I also know that I am not alone. I've seen on several occasions, posts by new moms wondering what they can do to increase their milk supply.

You may have been seeing the suggestion lately where moms who are concerned that they're not producing enough milk are being encouraged to supplement with formula. Well, the problem with that is that breastfeeding runs on a supply and demand principle. You supplement a little bit more and a little bit more and so your own supply naturally goes down in response. If you want to be successful at breastfeeding, this, in my own personal opinion, should only be used as a last ditch effort.


                     
                                                              
There are herbs that are beneficial for such cases. Nothing new. Not some rocket science, but herbs that have been used for centuries. Milky is a product that I recently learned about and have been trying out that contain these herbs conveniently bottled and ready to use whenever and can go with you wherever. You can pop a couple of the 2.5 oz bottles into a diaper bag or purse and be on your way. A plus is the fact that these ingredients are natural and organic. Milky is designed by a pediatrician and is the only supplement of it's kind, so there's no guesswork or trying to choose which you should go for. 

One thing i'd point out is that although it's supposed to be strawberry flavored, it really doesn't taste like it. I had a couple of women try as well to make sure it wasn't just me, and it was the same for them. I would describe the taste as more of a sweetened ginger drink.

Other tips on increasing your breastmilk supply:
  • Stay hydrated. 
  • Stay consistent
  • Be sure you eating enough
  • Avoid stress
Milky is available at the Need Brands website.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Share your thoughts