Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Update on My Pregnancy

I finally made it to my first prenatal exam last week. They did the standard talk and blood draw along with other things that are normally done at an OBGYN visit when one finds out they're going to have a baby.

Upon doing the internal pelvic exam to estimate how far along I may have been, the physician's assistant informed me that I was around 8-10 weeks along. This did raise a concern for me, because early January I had to go to the hospital because of a rapid heartbeat. The hospital's pregnancy test was negative, so they went through with a cat-scan to make sure I didn't have a blood clot. I was once told that having a cat-scan is equivalent to having 200 x-rays! I mentioned this to my doctor, and I guess if the x-ray would have done any harm, I would have miscarried.

I later received a call and I was glad to hear the news that everything else was okay regarding my lab results, but I did also hear that my thyroid function was low, which apparently explains why i've been so burned out. They said that this can happen during the first trimester, but they'll check again during the second.

I also had to return to the doctor's office on Monday (on the way there we were rear-ended because it was super slippery outside!), but didn't suffer much damage at all. I had an ultra-sound to see just how far along we were, partially due to irregular menstrual cycles. Turns out we were 10 weeks and 5 days along, so today i'm 11 weeks exactly.

I've been able to hold food and fluids down much better. I didn't mention how I had to go to the emergency room for this, because I was holding down almost nothing and was drained of energy more than I can ever recall being in my life. I was prescribed anti-naseau meds at the time which helped somewhat. I have since stopped taking them.

So that about sums up what's going on for now. Hopefully i'll be back to my old strength shortly and you'll see more of me here with updates and more. Well, I do have a couple more posts that I need to get up, but I want to be able to post on a more regular basis instead of every 2 weeks or so.. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. congrats on the expected new arrival!! Sorry to hear you are not feeling well lately.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share your thoughts