Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Giving Back This Holiday Season


Most of my readers don't know my story, so let me reveal to you who I was up until just earlier this year....

My husband is a veteran. He was honorably discharged in October of 2004 due to several health complications. We moved from California to Southern Illinois, because my mom was there and I wanted to be near her. If I had any way of for-seeing the hardships that we would suffer, we would have better planned things out. I won't get into just how difficult things were for us, but let me just say that sometimes I ask my husband how we made it with such a little for so long.

What i'm trying to say is, we were the family on the other side of the glass, standing out looking in, waiting and hoping for better. We'd gladly accept handouts when someone made the offer. I'm one who loves to see a smile on my children's faces and the joy I feel in my heart when I know that they're happy, so we had to swallow our pride on several occasions and sign up for this and that, a meal here, bill assistance there so that our needs could be met and so that our children could feel like children.

I'm so thankful to God that things are looking up for us right now. The VA has helped my husband get a job and not two weeks ago gave him an increase in his disability payments. We're making it off of one income, but compared to where we were, I can not complain.

That life wasn't one that we'd asked for, nor ever expected for our family. When my husband was still enlisted we knew that next check was coming and we'd always have some place to stay.

What i'm trying to say is you may never know where you'll end up in life. There are many families that can use our help. We've not done a whole lot, but I do know that every little contribution helps, because a little from many equals a lot. Personally, we've contributed a small amount to the Salvation Army via the bell ringers that stand outside in the cold trying to collect for those in need. I made a small contribution to a fellow blogger and also won a prize from her, which I was able to put back into the bag to be given to someone in need. I'm in no way bragging, but just trying to make a point that every little bit helps. A dollar or two here and there.

I want to let you know of a campaign going on right now that I found out about through Twittermoms called K.I.D.S. (Kids in Distressed Situations). K.I.D.S brings hope and self-esteem to children in need and their families by providing new clothes, shoes, toys, furniture, books and juvenile products donated by leading manufacturers and retailers. The donations move through their network of community social service agencies in the U.S. and abroad to reach children who are ill, living in poverty, or are the victims of natural disasters.


For every pair of Robeez Soft Sole purchases, Stride Rite will donate that pair to K.I.D.S (Kids In Distressed Situations) through December 23rd. I'm sure there's a baby in your life for whom you can purchase shoes. And in so doing, you'll be helping out another baby who's less fortunate. Please check out Robeez Season of Giving for more information.

This blog post was written in response to this one over at Twittermoms.

3 comments:

  1. Just saw on Jolly Mom's blog that you won the computer so I thought i would pop on over and congratulate you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrote my post yesterday on Robeez!

    Stopping by to say Hi and now following you from a fellow Mama Bzz'er!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ladies thanks for stopping by and leaving comments!! Thanks @Ann for the congrats!! I'm on my way over to you guys blogs to say hi :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share your thoughts